Close this search box.


At Infinity Accounting & Financial Services, we pride ourselves in being experts when it comes to accounting practices for teachers. We have compiled a list of specific deductions, that as teacher you may be eligible to claim:

Car Expenses:

When can you claim? .

  • Travelling between separate work places.
  • Travelling to an alternate workplace.
  • Work-related parking fees, tolls.

You can’t claim if:

  • You’re travelling between your home and workplace.
  • If you do minor work-related tasks on the way to or on your way home from work.

How can you claim?

  • You can claim $0.63, $0.74 or $0.75 (depending on the size of your engine) per KM on the first 5000 work-related KMs per financial year (You may like to keep a diary of work-related travel).
  • You can keep a log book for 3 months to determine what percentage of work-related car usage you incur, which then allows you to claim that percentage of your car expenses as a deduction.
Home Office Expenses:

What can you claim?

  • Depreciation of home office equipment (computers etc).
  • Work-related phone calls from home or mobile and internet
  • Cost of energy (electricity and gas) that is incurred as a result of working from home.
  • Cost of repair for any home office furniture and fittings.

You can’t claim:

  • You can figure out a percentage of use for work purposes using you diary records and claim that percentage off your bills (electricity, gas, phone & internet) and depreciation on assets.
  • You might prefer working out how many hours you used your home office throughout the year using your diary records and claim $0.34 for each hour.
Clothing Expenses:

What can you claim?

  • Compulsory uniforms.
  • Non-compulsory uniforms can be claimed if that piece of clothing can be identified as a piece of clothing distinctive to your workplace (has the school logo).
  • Protective clothing.
  • aundry and dry-cleaning

You can’t claim:

  • Any type of clothing that can be deemed as general clothing (i.e. suits, dresses etc).

What do you need to do?

  • Keep receipts of all purchases, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses, hire expenses and repairing expenses.
Other Expenses You Can Claim As A Deduction:
  • Expenses incurred on excursions, school trips and camps.
  • Cost of First Aid Training, If you’re the designated First Aid person.
  • Cost of attending work-related seminars, conferences and training courses.
  • Cost of sunglasses, sunhats and sunscreen if you’re a school sports teacher or coach.
  • Cost of teaching aids.
  • Cost of subscription to technical or professional journals, periodical and magazines that relate to teaching.
  • Union and professional association fees.

Please call us today on 9792 2772 for further assistance and to ensure that you are claiming the maximum refund you are entitled to.

Newsletter Subscribe

Infinity Group

Established in 1999, Infinity Group is a multi-service firm that specialise in the areas of Finance, Property, Accounting & Taxation, Insurance and Migration Services.

Quick contact
Copyright © 2021 Infinity Group | Powered by Creative Dot Solutions